Friday 24 August 2012

THE BIG-FIVE KARATE KIDS








Once again Tofauti on the move was  warmly acquainted by amazing 'Ni Hao' community, who as usual will always charm you with their gorgeous gifts of chopsticks, the Chinese good luck crosses and the famous smiley waves and greetings(they could wave at you once every minute, lol!). Kenya had over 30 Chinese interns this summer round and Tofauti on the move hosted a big number; while at it forced to house them in three different intern houses!! Arguably the house in Kilimani was viewed as the best of them all(sorry Mr. Mathew), and it hosted the lovely beautiful five Chinese girls; Jiajing Yan, Joyce Wu, Shi Yiwen, Rebaca Shia, and lovely Zoe:- Their philosophy' HAKUNA MATATA.


Here's a brief in-view of  Yan Jiajing's(Adele) experience...

















2. HOW WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE IN KENYA?
Kenya is an amazing country. She has skyscrapers in big city;uncountable national park and animals; warmhearted people; terrible road and traffic... I spent the most unforgettable time in my life here. I first
know “Hakuna Matata” from the movie “Lion King” and find it really the motto of almost all the Kenyan..


3. DID YOU MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS?
Actually I didn’t set exact expectations before I come. Because I know. Africa is a place which is totally different from where I grow and live, there will always be something beyond my control and imagination. So I just got prepared, followed my heart here and tried to experience more things. And now I find it is a wise choice to let things be and think in Kenyan’s way---“Hakuna matata”, that makes everything looks better. So
in this short six weeks, I truly enjoyed the work, the traveling, the hangout, the time at home...



4. HOW WAS YOUR INTERNSHIP AND WEEKEND TRIPS?
Volunteer work is the one which left me deepest impression and most moving things. I worked in Joysprings primary school in Kibera from Monday to Thursday for five weeks... Beside their regular class, we taught them Chinese culture with real things like chopstick, and multi-media like videos and pictures. We gave them Self-reflection class combined with English speech class, and they realized their dreams and the way to let them become true; they got the chance to know what others think about them through games during this process. When giving chance to stand in front of the class and say ones opinion, everyone was like a shining crystal~ Finding the kids really eager to know more about electronic products, we started to teach some students camera and computer skills, and they can do the basic operation now which is a big step. We applied what we learned in university to real life and help the school to do some accounting work.
We were also invited to the school church to experience local ceremony and learned a lot from headmaster’s speech. On the last day, when teachers showed appreciation to us, students danced and sang for us, I felt like everything deserves and I must came back some day to meet those people in Kibera again.


At weekend, we got plenty of time to discover the wild Kenya. Lying & jumping on the beach in Mombasa; Doing safari in Masai Mara to see the great migration by our own eyes; Chatting until midnight with people from all over the world and sleeping under starry sky in West Tsavo National Park; Floating on hot spring with firefly pass by at Lake Bogoria and doing rock climbing and cycling at Hell’s Gate….Thank all of you in Tofauti for giving me those beautiful memories.

5. HOW WAS THE FOOD AND EXPERIENCE IN THE HOUSE?

There is no doubt that the house is the best intern house in Kenya and we are really the lucky ones. The family took us like the family member, we did energetic greetings every day, we chatted with each other and the topic covered all kinds of things. Living in this family really made me feel like home and I got the chance to experience Kenyan’s way of life and the wonderful traditional food. Thank you for your care; it became my second home now.

6. HAVE YOUR SAY…
“Tofauti on the move” provides me a life change experience to see a whole new world. I will not forget the things we have done and the people we have met here. That’s the most valuable things in my life. And hope more volunteers can get the chance to come to Kenya, come to Tofauti to have their unique life change experience in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment