Tuesday 4 October 2011

Bettina’s Heart of Gold

Tofauti has recently been taking its interns to visit various Children’s homes in the Nairobi Metropolitan area.
During one of these visits, one of the interns, Bettina, of her own volition, donated 300 euros to a children’s home.
Bettina is a young lady with an extraordinary heart. Moved by  the day to day plight of the children in these homes, she chose to make a difference—she not only volunteered herself to serve but also chose to make a financial contribution that will go directly to the feeding the children there.


(Bettina with some of the other Interns donating books and foodstuff at Faith School)

Wow!
May her generosity open great doors for her!

Here’s a summary of her story:
……………………………………………..
Kindly give us a short bio of yourself
Name:                                                  Bettina Katharina Kriegl
Country of origin:                             Germany, Bavaria

What were your expectations of the Tofauti Internship Experience? Have met them?
When I decided to come to Kenya I had no particular expectations of the organization but of the internship in general.
As I have never been in Africa before, I wanted to get to know the African way of life. I am very thankful that I met so many friendly Kenyans who gave me an understanding of their culture.
Furthermore, I made up my mind to do a development internship in order to help needy people. Tofauti gave me the possibility to teach Maths at Vijito School, to visit Kibera Slum and to work for the Mukuru Promotion Centre. The organization also supports my intention to buy food for malnourished kids at Faith School and made a car available to me.
Last but not least I thank Tofauti for giving us the chance to travel during our internship. Massai Mara and Mombasa were a great adventure for me.

What did you get from the Tofauti Internship Experience? What value did we add to your life?
I am sure that the development internship in Nairobi will have a big impact on my life.
Living together with so many people of different countries broadened my mind and I could improve my language skills in English.
Furthermore, as I assumed not only responsibility for myself but also for kids of different schools I became more self-assured and self-dependent.
During my stay here in Kenya I also learned how to accomplish difficult challenges.

Have your say:
Going back to Germany is more difficult for me than I thought. This improves that I had a really great time here in Kenya.
I have met so many friendly people from so many different countries. I took some of them in my heart and I hope that we will keep in touch.
…………………………..
She went the extra mile to make the difference. It now your turn….

All the best Bettina!

George Stanley
Documentation Guy
Tofauti on the Move.

No comments:

Post a Comment